The Bent Pyramid.
An attempt to avert disaster? Or a Friday afternoon rush job?
Just why did the famous Bent pyramid suddenly shrink inward at the top?
* Theory one - Because the angle was so steep a drastic change may have been required. If there were signs of instability the top could have been tapered to reduce the possibility of a total collapse.
* Theory two - Sneferu may have been nearing death and the pyramid's construction needed fast-tracking to meet the deadline. (No pun intended)
Whatever the reason for its unusual shape, it shows that there was definitely a learning curve (there's that unintended pun again) to pyramid construction.
Facts and dimensions.
* It was built by the Pharaoh Sneferu for himself.
* It is located forty kilometres south of Cairo.
* The bottom part of the pyramid rises up at a fifty five degree angle. The very top part rises up at forty three degrees.
* The original polished limestone casing is in amazingly good condition compared to other pyramids.
* It is one hundred and one metres tall and was once the tallest structure in the world.
* Sneferu was not buried in his flawed pyramid. He built another pyramid and could have found his resting place in the more successful red pyramid.
* It contained two burial chambers, which was unusual in its day.
If you want to go deeper into famous pyramid without jumping on the next plane to Egypt,
take this great virtual tour.
return from bent pyramid to Pyramids page